Thursday, July 11, 2013

Top 5 abandoned classics

I have finished one, two and four, and though I have not abandoned the other two, I have taken them off the shelf in the library and put them back:

  1. Catch 22
  2. Lord of the Rings
  3. Ulysses
  4. Moby Dick
  5. Atlas Shrugged

Link to full story is below, but there is not much more to it. Catch 22 is the only surprise, but I just checked, and it is also over 500 pages, so length looks like a contributing factor in abandonment. Duh.

http://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/424-what-makes-you-put-down-a-book

4 comments:

  1. Atlas Shrugged is truly dreadful, and not just because of the politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get through Ulysses once and then try it again. For me it was work the first time, a good book the second time and went into a class all by itself by the time I got to the 40 pages of Molly Bloom's soliloquy for the third time.

    I have never even started Lord of the Rings. I think it still brings up harsh memories of the dungeons and dragons crowd at RPI.

    Altas Shrugged was fun in 11th grade. Not sure I could make it through more than 50 pages now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe. I've got Anna Karennina queued up for my next transatlantic trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't go wrong with AK. I saw the recent movie adaptation which was interesting (Jude Law) but to be avoided if you have not yet read the book. If you develop a taste for Tolstoy, related to Resurrection, Tolstoy has a short book (100 pages or so) called Confession which I believe is autobiographical. It tells the story of a young man who has an affair with a servant and only learns much later the consequences of his actions. This is based memory from on 10 or 15 years ago but I wouldn't be surprised if this was an early writing that inspired Resurrection

    ReplyDelete