Monday, July 15, 2013

Gnocchi in Parmesan Cream Sauce with Smoked Salmon and Baby Spinach

One thing there is no shortage of in the WC is gnocchi--usually made from potatoes. I forgot to check if it is local, but even the mini-markets stock it. I've made it twice now, and, having just polished off Saturday night's leftovers for lunch today, I have the urge to share.

I knew that I was going to cook it Saturday night, but wan't sure how. Then I remembered all of the baby spinach I had in the fridge (50 cents will get you 300 grams at the market, and 300 grams is a lot more spinach than you would expect) and I was also intrigued by a small piece of smoked salmon from Montenegro that I had bought that day at the Super Vero, the big Greek supermarket that is about 15 minutes walk from my apartment.

While the water was boiling, I made a roux out of equal parts butter and flour (about 2 tbs, I'm guessing). I actually sauteed a couple of cloves of minced garlic for a minute in the butter before I added the flour. I cooked the roux over low heat for about five minutes and then I added enough of the long-life milk that my predecessors had left to fill the pan. I whisked it together, and after about 5 minutes simmer, I threw in a bunch of chopped spinach, the smoked salmon cut into morsels, and a good quantity of red pepper flakes. Two minutes later I took the pan off the heat and stirred in a handful of shaved parmesan. I tossed that with the gnocchi, and it was dinner time.

No comments:

Post a Comment