Thursday, June 20, 2013

Morning Rituals

Back home, my weekday morning ritual was this: up between 5:30 and 6; drink coffee (timer set for 5:30) and read the Economist until 6:30; pack lunches, make breakfast and compose song of the day; wake up the BG; eat breakfast; walk the BG to the bus stop at 7:17; check e-mail; drive the OG to school at 7:45; start the day.

Belgrade is not that different, although it's a little less child-focused. I wake up at the same time. I don't have a timer on my coffee maker, so I get that going first thing. I read the Economist and check the day's news until 7; then I eat breakfast and listen to the most recent NPR news summary and last night's Pardon the Interruption; shower and shave; pack lunch and I'm out the door by eight.

I value not being rushed in the morning, and there's no better feeling than looking at the time on the top of my Ipad and knowing that I have 45 minutes before I need to do anything. I've yet to find good coffee, and I miss my family, of course, but I've settled into a nice groove on weekday mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment