Wednesday, February 6, 2013

More Wild Things

I mentioned awhile ago that my Reading Group was enjoying Wild Things, by Clay Carmichael, and that the author is a regular visitor to the Y. Today, she approached me, and told me that she was going to be coming to school this month. I mentioned my hypothetical question to the Group (If you could ask the author one question, what would it be?), and wondered if she might be interested in using their feedback for her talk. She responded in the Comments section to the post this morning, but I've elevated her answers to a post of their own. The kids will enjoy seeing this tomorrow:

Hello, Brian and Carrboro Elementary Battle of the Books Readers. Thanks for your questions. I'll be coming to your media center on February 25 and look forward to seeing you all then.
--Are you going to write another book?
I have already written another book, "Brother, Brother," which is for older teens and will be out this August. You can see the cover here, www.claycarmichael.com, and read a little about it here, http://www.throughthetollbooth.com/
--Where is the book ["Wild Things"] set?
"Wild Things" is set in the fictional town of Sugar Hill, North Carolina, which I picture in the western Piedmont. A fan once wrote me that there is a real Sugar Hill, NC where they famously fight every year with hard boiled eggs on Easter Sunday. Go figure.
--Why didn't Will tell Zoe he's her brother?
Are you [Is Zoë] sure he does know?
--What is the message of the book?
I tend to the story and the characters and always leave what messages might be there for the reader to decide. 
Why didn't the grandmother show up in the story more often?
I think Maud doesn't want to intrude, sees that Zoë has enough things to figure out and waits for Zoë to come to her. Kind of like the author who waits for the reader to figure things out for themselves. 
Thanks for asking and I'll see you on the 25th! 

No comments:

Post a Comment