Thursday, January 10, 2013

Wild Things

As I mentioned previously, the first book of 2013 in the BG's reading group is Wild Things, a book with broad appeal to lovers of both fantasy/adventure and realistic fiction, two genres preferred or disdained by discrete subsets of my constituents.

One of the kids told me that the author was local, and when I visited her web page (thinking that I might be able to open a dialogue or give the students some background) I realized that she is someone I see often at the Y, and with whom I have exchanged pleasantries on a couple of occasions.

So the other day, I asked her if she was the selfsame person, and when she said yes, I told her that my group was enjoying her book. She mentioned that she was planning a talk at the school later this year, but I got it in my head that I would ask the kids for questions this morning, which I might be able to pass on. So I asked them: "If there was one question you could ask the author, what would it be?" Here are their responses:
  • Are you going to write another book?
  • Where is the book set?
  • Why didn't Will tell Zoe he's her brother?
  • What is the message of the book?
  • Why didn't the grandmother show up in the story more often?
Not as successful as I'd hoped, but I think I'll pass them on nonetheless, and ask Ms. Carmichael to respond either here or via email. I think it will be interesting for both sides.


1 comment:

  1. Hello, Brian and Carrboro Elementary Battle of the Books Readers.
    Thanks for your questions. I'll be coming to your media center on February 25 and look forward to seeing you all then.

    --Are you going to write another book?

    I have already written another book, "Brother, Brother," which is for older teens and will be out this August. You can see the cover here, www.claycarmichael.com, and read a little about it here, http://www.throughthetollbooth.com/

    --Where is the book ["Wild Things"] set?

    "Wild Things" is set in the fictional town of Sugar Hill, North Carolina, which I picture in the western Piedmont. A fan once wrote me that there is a real Sugar Hill, NC where they famously fight every year with hard boiled eggs on Easter Sunday. Go figure.

    --Why didn't Will tell Zoe he's her brother?

    Are you [Is Zoë] sure he does know?

    --What is the message of the book?

    I tend to the story and the characters and always leave what messages might be there for the reader to decide.

    Why didn't the grandmother show up in the story more often?

    I think Maud doesn't want to intrude, sees that Zoë has enough things to figure out and waits for Zoë to come to her. Kind of like the author who waits for the reader to figure things out for themselves.

    Thanks for asking and I'll see you on the 25th! Clay Carmichael

    ReplyDelete