Saturday, February 2, 2013

30 Years Ago in Pop...

I was in 12th Grade on January 22, 2013. If you asked me what the kids were listening to back then, I would have acknowledged Thriller, by Michael Jackson, but also Prince, Run DMC, The English Beat, the Police and various other new wave and rap dilettantes. Arena rock was dead and the world was a better place.

Coverville has a show out featuring covers of the Billboard top songs of the day, and I was excited to fire it up on Friday at the Y. Ye Gods, as Grandma Anna would say. Was it really this bad? Were we not the tastemakers we styled ourselves to be. Check out the list of songs:

Title
Original Artist
Heartbreaker
Dionne Warwick
Kitty (Mickey)
Racey
Rock the Casbah
Clash
Baby Come To Me
Patti Austin with James Ingram
Maneater
Hall & Oates
Africa
Toto
Sexual Healing
Marvin Gaye
Dirty Laundry
Don Henley
The Girl Is Mine
Michael Jackson
Down Under
Men At Work

Not exactly the Golden Age is it? I'm a little weary of Maroon 5, Pink and Ne Yo on Pulse 102, but I'm not sure I prefer this group. I will say that, of this list, the only two songs in my Library are the Clash and Marvin Gaye, and both represent great artists past their prime, who have done much better work. In fact, the former has risen in my view from "they're ok" (1983 me) to "they are one of the best bands ever (2013 me). I highly recommend the Box Set.

3 comments:

  1. "Down Under" is a legitimately awesome song. And "Africa" is a toe-tapper, as long as you don't listen too closely to the lyrics, which are objectively terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure I speak-a your language vis a vis Down Under. And don't you mean to say that Africa is a Toto tapper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be fair, its a better song once you've downed a few Fosters.

    ReplyDelete