Thursday, November 29, 2012

Turkey Mole

I wrote earlier this week about Thanksgiving leftovers. With the last of our turkey (which I pulled and shredded, North Carolina style) I decided to make a mole sauce. I figured that if I kept the turkey separate, the OG could eat that, along with some plain corn, and that, by making the sauce vegetarian, I'd have something for the BG (turns out that, after tasting it, she asked for plain pasta, which was hanging around the fridge in case of just such an emergency). Not everything works, despite what television would have you believe. But Worldwide and I enjoyed it immensely nonetheless.

The recipe is inspired by a friend from Egypt; I left out the chicken, added corn and sweet potatoes (cooked separately), and substituted a package of hot chocolate mix for cocoa powder and molasses. It turned out beautifully, and I'll definitely make it again in the way I've set out below, although I might cook the vegetables and turkey  right in the sauce after pureeing it, to make it easier. The sweet potatoes should be done in 15-20 minutes, the corn and turkey in 10. You can tell by tasting.

Vegetables in Mole Sauce

Heat 2 tbs oil in a large skillet. Saute 1 onion, chopped for 5 min over med/low heat until translucent. Add 3 cloves of garlic, minced, and saute for 30 seconds. Add 1 package hot chocolate mix, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon,1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp chipotle powder (or cayenne) 2 tsp. cider vinegar, 1 14.5 oz can chopped tomatoes, 1 cup stock (I used vegetable, the original calls for chicken) and 2 generous tbs peanut butter. Simmer for 45 minutes, until sauce is nice and thick (I actually added a little more water as the sauce got a little too dense). Puree in a blender, taste and add salt if needed.

Add 1 sweet potato, diced into small bites and boiled for ten minutes, along with 1/2 cup corn. Simmer for ten minutes and serve over rice, stirring in shreds of reheated turkey, as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment