Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Here Comes the Hot stepper.

I am usually the first one downstairs in the morning, especially during the school year, when I have to make lunches and come up with the Song of the Day. The BG is usually next, followed by the OG and Worldwide.

For some long forgotten reason, when I hear one of the Gs coming down the stairs, I'll sometimes launch into "Here Comes the Hot Stepper, a minor hit for someone named Ini Kamoze in the early nineties. I don't think either of them has actually hears the song, but they both know to fire back "word 'em up. I'm the lyrical gangster" at the right time, and it was especially funny to hear it coming out of a four year-old back in 2005.

Yesterday, the BG and I were at the mall looking for a new backpack for school. She had decided that she might want to spend her NBA Pool winnings on a game called Just Dance, Summer  Party, which she had enjoyed on a friend's Kinect. We found a used copy at Gamestop for $20, and she happily brought it home in her new tie-dyed blue and green backpack.

The disc has, among other more forgettable tunes, a simplified version of the aforementioned song, and when I heard the pounding bass, I just knew that I had heard it someplace else. To answer these types of questions, I love whosampled.com, which does a really nice job of keeping track of what samples artists use, as well as where they're songs have been sampled. I discovered that the familiar beat was from Heartbeat, a 1981 song from Taana Gardner that I had put on a Valentine's day playlist for the OG.

That was fun. Here is the playlist:


Don't Go Breaking My Heart, Elton John & Kiki Dee
Groove Is In the Heart, Deee-Lite
Piece of My Heart, Erma Franklin
Are You Ready To Be Heartbroken? Lloyd Cole & The Commotions
What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted, Jimmy Ruffin
Heartbeat (Party Mix), Taana Gardner
Heart Of Glass, Blondie
Hungry Heart, Bruce Springsteen
Heart Like Mine, Blue Rodeo
Queen Of Hearts, Juice Newton
This Old Heart Of Mine (Is Weak For You), The Isley Brothers
Take My Heart Away, Johnny Clegg & Savuka
Another Nail In My Heart, Squeeze
There's A Song in My Heart, The Commodores
Feel the New Heartbeat, The Treacherous Three
Open Your Heart, Madonna

No comments:

Post a Comment