Friday, October 18, 2013

Dress For the Occasion

One of the things that used to drive me crazy in Cairo was that the legal community had adopted the suit and tie as the proper dress for everyday business. There is nothing wrong with using your clothes to convey the seriousness and dignity of your office (ok, maybe there are a few problems with that statement) but there is definitely something wrong with choosing to complement your attire with a jacket in the middle of the doggone desert in August. It's as if tradition required lawyers in Toronto to wear shorts to work year round, and to trudge through the February slush in flip flops.

But here in the WC, the summer is over and a chill is in the air. Getting ready for work this morning, I checked the weather and saw that is was just south of 50 degrees at eight o'clock this morning. I put on a thin sweater, and then, at the last second, grabbed by camel hair jacket (sport coat if you must, and i don't think any cameline creatures contributed to its production) and headed out the door.

I've never been happier or more comfortable. That may be a bit of an overstatement, but I think I've made my point.

No comments:

Post a Comment