Friday, September 6, 2013

Mayhem Salad

I got out into the country twice last week, which usually means lunch.And lunch is serious business; rakia, followed by appetizers, soup,salad and meat and potatoes.But in Pozega, I discovered something I hadn't had before (I later learned that it was part of my pljeskavieca with everything, but it was lost in a riot of excess).

When I remarked on how tasty one of our appetizers was--a spicy cream cheese served along prosciutto, tomatoes and bread--my translator told me that its name was "mayhem salad." She sent me the recipe the following day, and Google translated "urnebes" as "hoopla" while another colleague preferred "bedlam." But you get the picture: a riot of flavor.

For Old Granddad's birthday party, I decided to create a canape based on the plate described above--to do beforehand what I did at the table. I cut pita triangles, topped them with a slice of prosciutto, a smear of mayhem and a slice of tomato.

I was quite pleased with the result, although a quick toasting would have made the pita a lot better. Try it. You'll like it. And it's dead simple.

Mayhem Salad
Combine 1/2 lb of feta, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 tsp. paprika, 1 tsp. red pepper flakes and 2 cloves of garlic in a food processor. Blend until smooth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment