Friday, August 23, 2013

Taco Bell

My boy Matt Yglesias loves the new "Fiery Doritos Locos Taco," calling it, without irony, a "triumph of human ingenuity." Last summer, when the BG and I were stranded in Cleveland, our hotel was near a Taco Bell, and we went there for lunch. We had seen the commercial about the dude (I believe his name was Matt Christianos, although the Gs and I had many discussions about whether he was actually a real person) who drove 600 miles for a taco with a shell made from real nacho cheese Doritos many times during basketball games, and it had been the subject of many jokes that began with "You know what I could go for..." in response to a question about upcoming meal choices.

But nonetheless, I have always been a big fan of the Bell, particularly the bean burrito and the chicken  burrito supreme, and I also enjoy Doritos, so the idea was intriguing, like a Pineapple Express-inspired conversation that had somehow become a delicious reality. The execution, however, was a little gross; it tasted like a taco that had been sprinkled with a more scientific version of the dust in the bottom of the bag. I have never been more disappointed.

OK, I have been more disappointed many times. But despite Matt's enthusiasm I won't be seeking out the new product. Unless, of course, I find myself near a Taco Bell. But I will expect to be disappointed this time, so maybe it will be a pleasant surprise. A year is a long time in the food science industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment