Sunday, September 16, 2012

Muffin Man

We have a big red armchair in the living room. Ten years ago, when we got it, we were really into Blue's Clues, and, consequently, it's been known as the "Thinking Chair" ever since. On weekend mornings, I am usually the first person downstairs, and the BG is often the second. There is just enough room in the chair for both of us, and she will snuggle in with me, waiting a diplomatic five minutes or so before she enquires about her breakfast.

Yesterday she caught me looking at the Dining page of the New York Times. "Which one of these would you like for breakfast?" I asked. She chose the Blueberry Coconut Oatmeal pudding, and I made it, using regular oats, omitting the rose water, and substituting raspberries. She pronounced it "pretty good" (translation: "I don't like it all that much, but I love you.") and I was left with a cup, which I decided to eat after a quick trip to the gym.

The problem is, that, even though I'm crazy for most grains, I have never developed a taste for oatmeal. I've tried it dozens of ways, and it's just too--I'm struggling for the right word--gummy. But I thought that raspberries and coconut milk would win the day.

One bite and I knew I was wrong. I wondered if there were any uses for leftover oatmeal. Despite Worldwide's certainty that there weren't, I decided to check the Internet, where I found many suggestions for quick breads, muffins or pancakes. And sure enough, my first edition Joy of Cooking has a recipe for "Cooked Cereal Muffins," which I made this morning, adding a half cup of chocolate chips to seal the deal. I also used up a little leftover icing from the OG's cupcakes project last week, and the results were pretty spectacular. I didn't grease the muffin tin liners, though, and the product stuck pretty steadfastly to the parchment. Not sure that's avoidable, but next time I've got a cup of leftover raspberry coconut oatmeal, I'll let you know.

Cooked Cereal Muffins
Beat 2 egg yolks. Add 1 cup cooked oatmeal, 1 1/4 cups milk and 2 tbs melted butter. Sift, before measuring, 1 1/2 cups flour, then re-sift with 1 tbs sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and 2 tsp baking powder. Beat 2 egg whites until stiff. Combine liquid and dry ingredients, then fold in the egg whites. Fill well-greased muffin tin and bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes.

Note: I stirred half a cup of chocolate chips  into the batter, and iced the muffins. And my oatmeal had raspberries and coconut milk. But all of that seems far to random to put in a recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment