Saturday, March 31, 2012

Ode to the Joy

Although it has its critics, and lacks the inimitable voice of Irma Rombauer, as the photo attests, the 1997 edition of the Joy of Cooking is my go-to cookbook. That said, I found the recipe for Alfredo sauce--a BG favourite--unacceptable; too much butter, and the sauce didn't hold together. I experimented last night with more of a bechamel type approach, and all (except the OG, who prefers her pasta tout simple) were pleased.

I served this alongside a grilled porterhouse, with steamed green beans (raw for the BG). If you cook the pasta in a saucepan, my preferred method of late, the whole thing can come together in 20 minutes, including time for the grill to heat up.

Here's the recipe for the sauce. The steak I just sprinkled with a little kosher salt and grilled. The beans I steamed in one of those rubber baskets, which I love. I think I bought mine in Chinatown a few years ago.

Melt 2tbs butter in a saucepan. Mix in 2tbs flour and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add 1/2 pint of whipping cream (you could use half and half or milk, and I ended up thinning the sauce with milk at the end, so I think I'd use the half and half next time). Cook over low heat for 10 minutes, whisking out any lumps). Throw in 1/2 cup of grated fresh parmesan and stir until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, adding more liquid or cheese if necessary for the right consistency.

Hasta la pasta!

No comments:

Post a Comment