Monday, December 9, 2013

Megan's List

I've been following Megan McArdle for over a decade, and it's been nice to watch her go from amateur blogger to Bloomberg celebrity. Like me, she loves kitchen gadgets, and, as much as I enjoy her insight into the business world, there is no entry I look forward to more than her holiday gift guide. The Gs picked out "unitaskers" for me at Williams Sonoma last year, earning bemused looks from the clerk, who didn't enjoy the pejorative assertion of the term. Nevertheless, I love my strawberry huller, and I use it often during the summer. And the oxo peeler is something I really miss here. Bee Wilson has a long encomium to the recent technological progress in vegetable peelers that reinforces what I learned by accident twenty years ago, when I bought the vegetable peeler that, pound for pound, may have contributed more to my quality of life, than anything else in my kitchen.

She's more of a baker than I am, but I've been coveting the Vitamix and the Breville toaster oven. We have pedestrian versions of both that I can't wait to break, but I'm not just going to toss while they still do the job. I've also been toying with the idea of both a pressure cooker and a slow cooker, but I've held out, just because they can't quite seem to make the leap in my mind to deserving a dedicated counterspace. But the combo? Hmm.

And a salt pig looks like something I might wonder how I ever did without. Can't wait for the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment