Friday, December 20, 2013

Holiday Cheer

About this time sixteen years ago, Worldwide and I were embarking on our belated honeymoon. We flew from Skopje to Vienna, spent a few days drinking punsch and seeing the sights, and then took an overnight train to Venice, where we spent the better part of a week.

At the airport (I think) Worldwide bought the Holiday issue of a magazine called the Economist, which I had never heard of. Not long after, I was deep into articles comparing the internet with electricity and analysis of the political unrest in Madagascar. I loved everything about it: the scope of the coverage; the economics; the wry British humor; and the succinct writing style.

When we returned to Skopje, we found a bookstore that carried it, and every Saturday, on our way to the Green market, we would pick up the latest edition. I became a subscriber when we returned to DC, and have been ever since.

I don't read every article (although I did from 1997-2009), but I can confidently say that I have read more than 90% of everything published in the last 16 years. I downloaded the current holiday issue this morning, and very much enjoyed the look back at World War 1 on the centennial of its beginning and the selection of the Country of the year, which just legalized gay marriage and cannabis, and whose president reportedly drives a Volkswagen Beetle to work. I'm looking forward to reading about the real Ozymandias and Indian mothers-in-law, and to another year of news and insight. It's not cheap, and it takes an investment of your time, but it has definitely changed the way I look at finance and economics and at the same time helped me become far more attuned to what's happening around the world.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure I just bought it to impress you.

    I first heard of it in 1984, when I took my first economics class. The instructor pronounced the Economist basically the only reliable source of information in the world.

    ReplyDelete