- Secondary school enrollment grew by 48% between 2000-2008;
- Malaria deaths have declined by 30% and HIV infections by 74% in the last decade;
- The poorest nations are landlocked;
- Bank account holders in Kenya have risen from 1 million to 20 million in the last ten years;
- Mobile phone and Internet access is widespread and growing.
Then again, $4-8 billion of Nigeria's oil revenue is stolen annually (and there are lots of other similar examples--I'm looking at you Mr. Mugabe), so there is still a long way to go. But the population is young and moving to cities in increasing numbers, two good things for future prosperity.